• Welcome to Ten Percent of Nuthin'.

News:

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.  -Mal

Main Menu

Comic Book Recommendations

Started by Rosie, July 10, 2011, 10:34:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosie

Tink was giving me an education on the way comics work with certain storylines.

I would like to learn more. Any recommendations of authors or artists or stories I should read?

I haven't even read Astonishing X-Men because I hate the idea of jumping in the middle of a story.

I am looking for graphic novels so that it feels more like a book and less like a little comic book.

TinkTanker

I jump in and out of comics from time to time. If things are too confusing, you can find a Wiki page and they will fill you in.

I've been reading the Flashpoint series from DC, which is leading up to the reboot of the DC universe. Interesting, but if you don't know what has gone on before you might have a difficult time following what's what.

Graphic novels, Kingdom Come, Marvels, The Dark Knight Returns, Batman: Year One are all excellent.

Biggest suggestion is to find a good comic shop and tell the owner your situation. They will be more than happy to help out.
"Is this how time normally passes? Really slowly, in the right order?"

Rosie

Quote from: TinkTanker on July 10, 2011, 10:41:18 AM
I've been reading the Flashpoint series from DC, which is leading up to the reboot of the DC universe. Interesting, but if you don't know what has gone on before you might have a difficult time following what's what.

Graphic novels, Kingdom Come, Marvels, The Dark Knight Returns, Batman: Year One are all excellent.

Biggest suggestion is to find a good comic shop and tell the owner your situation. They will be more than happy to help out.

Difficulty following is what I am afraid of. I just started adding comics to my wishlist based on what I know, which isn't much.

Thanks dear.

TinkTanker

When you hit a roadblock, ask your comic-book guy what the backstory is, in a few sentences. If he can't help, I'll see what I can do. If I don't know something, I can make it up.   ;)

Rosie

Quote from: TinkTanker on July 10, 2011, 02:05:58 PM
When you hit a roadblock, ask your comic-book guy what the backstory is, in a few sentences. If he can't help, I'll see what I can do. If I don't know something, I can make it up.   ;)

Thanks  :praise: :P

Pearl@32

Ask a geek about his favorite pasttime...pack a lunch and a pillow. He might be a while.  :haha:
"Reverting to name calling indicates you are getting defensive and find my point valid."—Mr. Spock, Into Darkness

End the hyphens...we are all human beings who live in America.

TinkTanker

Quote from: Pearl@32 on July 11, 2011, 06:48:14 AM
Ask a geek about his favorite pasttime...pack a lunch and a pillow. He might be a while.  :haha:

Hey! I resemble that remark!