• Welcome to Ten Percent of Nuthin'.

News:

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.  -Mal

Main Menu

Michael's new bosses

Started by Doc Holliday, August 20, 2008, 06:52:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doc Holliday

Is it me, or are Mike's new bosses just a little too good at second-guessing him?

I mean, they seem a little too deus ex machina for my tastes -- from a writing standpoint.

It seems like the writers -- in this aspect -- are cheating a bit...
Have you ever wondered why you and I have been part of so many unfortunate incidents, but are still here? I have figured it out. It's nothing much, just luck. I wake up every day looking at Death, and you know what? He ain't half bad.

TinkTanker

"Is this how time normally passes? Really slowly, in the right order?"

SerenityValley

Quote from: Doc Holliday on August 20, 2008, 06:52:44 AM
Is it me, or are Mike's new bosses just a little too good at second-guessing him?

I mean, they seem a little too deus ex machina for my tastes -- from a writing standpoint.

Great minds think alike!  I was thinking during last week's ep how is it that Michael Shanks kept "getting a leg up" on our "SuperSpy"!?!
"Do you know what the chain of command is here? It's the chain I go get and beat you with to show you who's in command."

Spooky

I kind of had that feeling too, but the more I listened to Michael's voice over bits, the more I felt that there is a lot of "Standardization" in the spook 'verse of Burn Notice and that means it's pretty easy for them to predict each others moves.  Which may have been a way for the writers to make things easier on them selves, now that i think about it. Anywho, it works for me. :)
And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling.

Eric

Hmm... could be, although I agree with Spooky that both sides are playing by the norms of their profession.  i.e., both Michael and Shanks (Victor?) would know to check for and disable GPS in a cell phone or to review video tapes or what Michael's most-likely thing to do in a given situation is.   Perhaps it's more like a game of chess?

TinkTanker

Quote from: Eric on August 20, 2008, 09:47:09 AM

Hmm... could be, although I agree with Spooky that both sides are playing by the norms of their profession.  i.e., both Michael and Shanks (Victor?) would know to check for and disable GPS in a cell phone or to review video tapes or what Michael's most-likely thing to do in a given situation is.   Perhaps it's more like a game of chess?

That's how I see it. Michael finally is up against someone who does waht he does as well as he does.

I can't figure out why they'd want to smuggle in that particular sniper rifle. Don't they have a bunch of those already?
"Is this how time normally passes? Really slowly, in the right order?"

Spooky

Quote from: TinkTanker on August 20, 2008, 10:06:35 AM

That's how I see it. Michael finally is up against someone who does waht he does as well as he does.

I can't figure out why they'd want to smuggle in that particular sniper rifle. Don't they have a bunch of those already?

I think it's one that Michael/someone else used in the past and can be traced and may be used to frame Michael/someone else.
And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling.

Doc Holliday

<shrugs, then nods> Good enough for me.
Have you ever wondered why you and I have been part of so many unfortunate incidents, but are still here? I have figured it out. It's nothing much, just luck. I wake up every day looking at Death, and you know what? He ain't half bad.