• Welcome to Ten Percent of Nuthin'.

News:

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.  -Mal

Main Menu

Summer means smokers!

Started by eforhan, June 25, 2010, 06:23:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AdmiralDigby

Quote from: Phyll33 on January 07, 2011, 10:07:38 AM
Quote from: AdmiralDigby on January 07, 2011, 09:31:08 AM
You can rebuild it.  You have the technology. 

But with the Warming we have no snow and the Eskimos spend their time surfing among drowning polar bears .

I'd love to try and smoke meat/fish but am 100% clueless .

Lazy too ....

Hmm, I just remembered we had a smoker in Alaska for all of the salmon hubby caught. Him and the next
door neighbor brought back 300 lbs of salmon one fishing trip. We were smoking up a storm. I guess he must
have sold it to someone up there when we left.

Oddly enough I don't like salmon ( I think it's the colour more than anything else ) but love smoked salmon .

It's nice here with a view of the trees
Eating with a spoon?
They don't give you knives?
'Spect you watch those trees
Blowing in the breeze
We want to see you lead a normal life

Spooky

I am eating some Alaska's Best King Salmon jerky right now!. YUMMY!
And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling.

TinkTanker

Eric, that Amazing Ribs site is killer! I've been there ever since you posted that and they have some great advice which I cannot wait to try.
"Is this how time normally passes? Really slowly, in the right order?"

Phyll33

Quote from: AdmiralDigby on January 07, 2011, 01:28:55 PM
Quote from: Phyll33 on January 07, 2011, 10:07:38 AM
Quote from: AdmiralDigby on January 07, 2011, 09:31:08 AM
You can rebuild it.  You have the technology. 

But with the Warming we have no snow and the Eskimos spend their time surfing among drowning polar bears .

I'd love to try and smoke meat/fish but am 100% clueless .

Lazy too ....

Hmm, I just remembered we had a smoker in Alaska for all of the salmon hubby caught. Him and the next
door neighbor brought back 300 lbs of salmon one fishing trip. We were smoking up a storm. I guess he must
have sold it to someone up there when we left.

Oddly enough I don't like salmon ( I think it's the colour more than anything else ) but love smoked salmon .

I loved it too until when hubby was filleting it for the smoker he noticed these fine little white filaments in it
that started to *cough* wiggle. A call to to fish and game said "Yep, salmon have worms and they were harmless
and to enjoy our salmon."  " The smoking will kill them off".  :laugh:  Needless to say they didn't look so appetizing
anymore.  :)

Eric

Quote from: TinkTanker on January 07, 2011, 01:59:48 PM
Eric, that Amazing Ribs site is killer! I've been there ever since you posted that and they have some great advice which I cannot wait to try.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com is decent too, though I usually end up going back to Amazing Ribs. 

I do like overnight brining the Boston Butt a'la Food Network Alton Brown's recipe:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pulled-pork-recipe/index.html

I haven't tried the rub yet.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com is a site dedicated to charcoal reviews, believe it or not. 

AdmiralDigby

You guys are talking about all this awesome smoked/bbq'd stuff and Joy says were having sloppy joes for supper .

Canadian cuisine rawks .

::)
Eating with a spoon?
Blowing in the breeze

TinkTanker

Have not found a good way to grill sloppy joes.
"Is this how time normally passes? Really slowly, in the right order?"

AdmiralDigby

Quote from: TinkTanker on January 08, 2011, 09:22:44 AM
Have not found a good way to grill sloppy joes.

My point exactly .

;)
Eating with a spoon?
Blowing in the breeze

Eric

It's past midnight, and I've got the smoker firing up for the first smoked pork of the year. 
I usually only get the 5lb ones, but they had a 10lb whole pork picnic, so I thought I'd try that. While I've done a couple 5lbs at the same time, I've never done the single -- and I figure it's going to take quite a bit longer. So, I'm looking at a 16-17 hour smoke for that (usually 1-2 hours/lb @ 210-225F).
I've also got a smaller cut I'm going to add later... maybe 6-8AM.

I always seem to have trouble getting it to the 210-225 range at start -- it's just too hot right now.  But once I get it down there, it should be good-to-go. 

I really like Alton Brown's brining recipe, so I brined for twelve hours.  This time instead of the Grillmaster's rub I've used the last few times, I'm going to risk it and try his recipe (found in the link).  I bought most of the spices new (didn't have whole seeds), plus Pearl's mom had sent us some chili powder from New Mexico. Right now, the kitchen smells like an Indian-the-country restaurant.  All that's missing is the curry.

I'm sure this is boring, but I do enjoy the smoking.  It's a lot of work, but man is it worth it.  I just hope the Maverick's alarm awakens me if the grill cools or overheats. ;)

No pics, cuz I suck.

On edit:
Next time I may stick to the Boston butt portions only, but we have had the picnic in the past and it tasted great too.

Eric

It's almost 3AM here.  I'd be napping, but I found out the smoker temp probe on my Maverick Redicheck ET-73 went bust -- so I'm doing it the less-than-ideal way of using the Weber's built-in coil thermometer.

The ET-73 is one of those ideas that is so close to fantastic that you want it to make it, but it just never quite lives up to the idea.
After seeing the smoker probe was not registering correctly (the meat probe is currently working), I hopped online and discovered they came out with an updated version, the ET-732. Farther receiver range, tougher probes (up to 750F), easier on-off, temperature memory.  It sounds like they actually listened to their customers.

It's tempting.  I'd love to be able to bring the remote in the house instead of just in the sunroom.  Still, can't they have an upgrade program? ;)
Maverick's new Redi Chek ET732 Remote Smoker Thermometer