• Welcome to Ten Percent of Nuthin'.

News:

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.  -Mal

Main Menu

Circumference of Darkness

Started by Spooky, May 29, 2008, 09:49:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spooky

Just finished "Circumference of Darkness" by Jack Henderson. Glenn Beck had him on the show and recommended the book. It's quite a thrill ride.

From Amazon.

QuoteThe publishers are touting this near-future (as in just around the corner) thriller as a debut novel, but it's so accomplished that readers will be astounded to think that it could have come from a first novelist. The plot is terrific: a brilliant computer hacker, known as Phr33k, is abducted by terrorists who want him to help them bring down the U.S. The country's only hope for survival: a beautiful 22-year-old prodigy, Jeannie Reese, who, after 9/11, designed the country's new high-tech surveillance system. The characters are sharply drawn; the narrative moves at a brisk clip (while slowing down frequently enough to let us catch our breath and digest information); and the dialogue, while peppered with technical lingo, flows smoothly, as though it were spoken by actual human beings. This really is quite an achievement and something of a rarity: a high-tech thriller with believable characters and a meaningful story. It's the kind of thing that Michael Crichton does well when he's at the top of his game but that most wannabe thriller writers never manage to pull off. Henderson looks like the real thing; watch him closely.

http://www.amazon.com/Circumference-Darkness-Novel-Jack-Henderson/dp/059533573X

And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling.

SerenityValley

I've not read any of his work, but did find Vince Flynn from Glenn's show.  Great suspense/thriller author!
"Do you know what the chain of command is here? It's the chain I go get and beat you with to show you who's in command."

Spooky

Quote from: SerenityValley on May 29, 2008, 09:53:21 AM
I've not read any of his work..

This is Henderson's first book. Not a bad debut.
And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling.

SerenityValley

Quote from: Spooky on May 29, 2008, 09:54:28 AM
Quote from: SerenityValley on May 29, 2008, 09:53:21 AM
I've not read any of his work..

This is Henderson's first book. Not a bad debut.

Hunh.  No wonder I'd not read any of his previous work!  Will have to check it out, though.  Went to the link which led me in a round about way to Vince Flynn and David Balducci (Love them both).  So, it's probably along the same lines.  Gonna check to see if my book club has it.
"Do you know what the chain of command is here? It's the chain I go get and beat you with to show you who's in command."