• Welcome to Ten Percent of Nuthin'.

News:

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.  -Mal

Main Menu

**SPOILER THREAD AFTER THE FINALE**

Started by Pearl@32, March 20, 2009, 08:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric

The title of the show really should have been called, "Deus Ex Machina".

Pearl@32

Well, I started thinking this morning:

If Galen saw that Tory killed Cally, then why didn't Tigh see Ellen frakkin' Cavil? Time constraints? Undying love conquers? Oedipussy.

The finale is what it is. It gained enough interest for me to want to watch it again -- I just re-watched parts of it on On Demand, and there are some parts that I really love. The CIC/Opera House was the best part for me. Baltar's speech had me hanging on his every word.

But if all BSG is one giant time-warp, then woohoo.

If it's 150,000 years later, then why did the map they have for repopulating the planet look like today? It wouldn't. It's Chucking convenient. The continental drift should have the NEW map by their timeline California knocking on China's door. Moore can ignore the science in science fiction all he wants, and THAT'S why I think the ending is lame -- in that respect. So says Moore!

I can also see that perhaps Moore would like a reset on humanity's existence ~ who wouldn't. We've frakked up so much. But it wouldn't mean that we're going to know the previous mistakes... Baltar and Six walked around New York City as angels, surveying the poor dumb humans in person, like GODS looking down on us from high. Humanity was destined to use both brain and heart. We were also destined to use ego, too. What BUT ego would build something as electronically spectacular like Times Square, or any large structure for that matter?

I don't know ~ the scenery was beautiful. The love stories were handled with such delicacy. Bear McCreary hit another symphony out of the park. Nice touch with the theme song.

I liked that they were in Africa, the "cradle of civilization," even if Tanzania is technically south of that.

I'm glad you guys could love it. It didn't completely suck for me -- some things were done well -- but what once was a great show for me has been gone for years now. I guess I should've had lower expectations. I forgot the cardinal rule: I'm just supposed to watch it ~ I wasn't supposed to think about it.
"Reverting to name calling indicates you are getting defensive and find my point valid."—Mr. Spock, Into Darkness

End the hyphens...we are all human beings who live in America.

Eric

OTOH, not many people can claim they nailed an angel.

How many times did Baltar do that?

Actually, two angels, including Stardoe!

Consigliere5

after not liking the past few episodes before the finale, i was ready to say good riddance...

but after the finale, i'm ready to say that i'll miss the show...  :(

season 1 and 2, for sure...

and i'll very much miss Bear's score...

no more songs like "Something Dark is Coming"... that i still lovelovelove... :(

was nice to hear Adama's celtic theme one last time...

Admiral And Commander
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7jH45JVdTw#

Something Dark is Coming
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EQXEIoZrZE#

AdmiralDigby

Did you guys notice that the guy at the newstand was Mr Moore ?
It's nice here with a view of the trees
Eating with a spoon?
They don't give you knives?
'Spect you watch those trees
Blowing in the breeze
We want to see you lead a normal life

Spooky

Quote from: Pearl@32 on March 21, 2009, 08:23:35 AM

If it's 150,000 years later, then why did the map they have for repopulating the planet look like today?

I liked that they were in Africa, the "cradle of civilization," even if Tanzania is technically south of that.

In 150,000 years there wouldn't be very much continental drift going on. At 10 or less centimeters a year that is less than 10 miles in 150,000 years.

And Tanzania is was probably a nod to the "Lucy" skeleton found in Tanzania in the 70's. :)

:PSA:
And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling.

geogal

I thought it was a neat bit that the places they talked about putting people were near fertile crescents/cradles of civilizations.  We sat around wondering which people ended up inspiring which mythologies. 

Pearl@32

Quote from: Spooky on March 21, 2009, 09:06:07 AM
Quote from: Pearl@32 on March 21, 2009, 08:23:35 AM

If it's 150,000 years later, then why did the map they have for repopulating the planet look like today?

In 150,000 years there wouldn't be very much continental drift going on. At 10 or less centimeters a year that is less than 10 miles in 150,000 years.

And Tanzania is was probably a nod to the "Lucy" skeleton found in Tanzania in the 70's. :)

:PSA:

OK, you got me on the drift ~ and yeah, Hera is probably a nod to Lucy (skeletal remains found in Ethiopia, closer to the cradle), so I have to bow out of taking things so literally and see that BSG is simply an allegory for human evolution translated into the history of Earthlings, Cylons and Hybrids.

The truth is Planet of the Apes did it better.
"Reverting to name calling indicates you are getting defensive and find my point valid."—Mr. Spock, Into Darkness

Pearl@32

Quote from: geogal on March 21, 2009, 09:14:25 AM
I thought it was a neat bit that the places they talked about putting people were near fertile crescents/cradles of civilizations.  We sat around wondering which people ended up inspiring which mythologies. 

Can you share some theories? I'd be interested to hear them.

Pearl@32

Quote from: AdmiralDigby on March 21, 2009, 09:02:54 AM
Did you guys notice that the guy at the newstand was Mr Moore ?

Yep. Funny.