• Welcome to Ten Percent of Nuthin'.

News:

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.  -Mal

Main Menu

Game of Thrones

Started by Rosie, August 13, 2011, 10:14:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosie

I am on page 23 and not yet hooked. Not loving it. Kind of dark a gloomy. Not a place i want to be. Catelyn is describing where she is from. Redwood trees are nice.

Question-Am I waiting for something to happen or someone to show up before I get hooked. I am guessing it gets better. Even the cashier told me it was a great book.

First chapter someone dies. Second chapter some is executed. Kind of afraid to read about more killing.

AdmiralDigby

Quote from: Rosie on August 13, 2011, 10:14:25 AM
I am on page 23 and not yet hooked. Not loving it. Kind of dark a gloomy. Not a place i want to be. Catelyn is describing where she is from. Redwood trees are nice.

Question-Am I waiting for something to happen or someone to show up before I get hooked. I am guessing it gets better. Even the cashier told me it was a great book.

First chapter someone dies. Second chapter some is executed. Kind of afraid to read about more killing.

It's a fairly authentic take on a bleak , brutal medieval world . Loads of people die . Horribly .

It's nice here with a view of the trees
Eating with a spoon?
They don't give you knives?
'Spect you watch those trees
Blowing in the breeze
We want to see you lead a normal life

Rosie

Quote from: AdmiralDigby on August 13, 2011, 10:58:41 AM

It's a fairly authentic take on a bleak , brutal medieval world . Loads of people die . Horribly .

So why is everyone nuts about this book? They like looking at a bleak, brutal medieval world. What do people like about it? Does something happen soon? Does it get exciting? Is there any romance and humor?

Spooky

Quote from: Rosie on August 13, 2011, 11:11:15 AM
Quote from: AdmiralDigby on August 13, 2011, 10:58:41 AM

So why is everyone nuts about this book? They like looking at a bleak, brutal medieval world. What do people like about it? Does something happen soon? Does it get exciting? Is there any romance and humor?

I think the political "Game of Thrones" that heats up between all the houses as the story progresses is fascinating and as the characters were fleshed more, I found myself really liking a few of them and really loving to hate a few others.
And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling.

Rosie

Warning possibly stupid question:

the "Game of Thrones" is just a who's better contest right?

Spooky

Quote from: Rosie on August 13, 2011, 12:45:51 PM

I don't think "who's better" can cover it completely. It's a political game played by the various ruling houses (and the lesser lords play their parts as well) of Westeros and it's about who is smart enough, honorable enough, duplicitous enough, ruthless enough and strong enough to take the Iron Throne to rule all of Westeros. All the houses have a personality and that will obviously shape how they will rule if they get the throne. You've met the Starks by now and can see that they are honorable and the Lanisters are duplicitous (though they always pay their debts) and every other house seems to have a dominant personality as well. The "Game", as I see it,  is not a contest, but a war of strength and politics.
And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling.

AdmiralDigby

Quote from: Spooky on August 13, 2011, 01:14:50 PM
Quote from: Rosie on August 13, 2011, 12:45:51 PM

I don't think "who's better" can cover it completely. It's a political game played by the various ruling houses (and the lesser lords play their parts as well) of Westeros and it's about who is smart enough, honorable enough, duplicitous enough, ruthless enough and strong enough to take the Iron Throne to rule all of Westeros. All the houses have a personality and that will obviously shape how they will rule if they get the throne. You've met the Starks by now and can see that they are honorable and the Lanisters are duplicitous (though they always pay their debts) and every other house seems to have a dominant personality as well. The "Game", as I see it,  is not a contest, but a war of strength and politics.

Martin takes his inspiration from England's Wars of the Roses .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wars_of_the_Roses
Eating with a spoon?
Blowing in the breeze

Eric

AdmiralDigby

Quote from: Eric on August 13, 2011, 02:10:30 PM
Quote from: AdmiralDigby on August 13, 2011, 01:43:10 PM
Martin takes his inspiration from England's Wars of the Roses .

Not this one?

THE WAR OF THE ROSES - Trailer ( 1989 )

That was a dark movie .
Still love the ending .
Eating with a spoon?
Blowing in the breeze

TinkTanker

I've had trouble getting into it, but that's because I have ADD or something. I can read a few pages and then I'm done. Used to be a voracious reader. Anyway, not everything has to uplifting. Some people like drama that isn't in the real world. It is grim and gritty and dark and if that isn't for you, you might not like this. Some people juggle geese.

I tried to read Fellowship of the Ring and gave up a third the way through. I asked Ann if anything ever happened and she asked if meant anything bad happened to the hobbits and I said no, do any events ever occur? So far, all that had happened was they walked and sang and ate and sang about eating and sang about walking.
"Is this how time normally passes? Really slowly, in the right order?"