• Welcome to Ten Percent of Nuthin'.

News:

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.  -Mal

Main Menu

Self-Published Author Sells 450k E-Books, Hits Best Seller List

Started by Spooky, February 10, 2011, 03:36:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spooky

And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling.

Eric

/sigh.

I remember when I used to be a prolific and better writer.

Good for her.   :happy:

Phyll33

Quote from: Spooky on February 10, 2011, 03:36:48 PM
Power to the People: Self-Published Author Sells 450k E-Books, Hits Best Seller List

http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/jjmnolte/2011/02/09/power-to-the-people-self-published-author-sells-450k-e-books-hits-best-seller-list/

I'm hoping more established authors that have been dropped by their publishers will go this route. I've been
going through my stash of books this winter and there are so many mystery series that I have read that have
been dropped without being allowed to come to a conclusion that it would be nice if those authors were able
to get one or two more books out there to finish the series or even be able to continue it on their own.  Every
time I contact an author and ask where are you I get the same thing from them. The publishers dropped them
or asked them  if they would write a hobby or cooking mystery series. Why publishers won't let an author
wrap things up is beyond me since readers like me are now on to them and refuse to even purchase a mid author
book any more.

Wyobar

Quote from: Phyll33 on February 11, 2011, 07:40:56 AM
Power to the People: Self-Published Author Sells 450k E-Books, Hits Best Seller List

http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/jjmnolte/2011/02/09/power-to-the-people-self-published-author-sells-450k-e-books-hits-best-seller-list/

I'm hoping more established authors that have been dropped by their publishers will go this route. I've been
going through my stash of books this winter and there are so many mystery series that I have read that have
been dropped without being allowed to come to a conclusion that it would be nice if those authors were able
to get one or two more books out there to finish the series or even be able to continue it on their own.  Every
time I contact an author and ask where are you I get the same thing from them. The publishers dropped them
or asked them  if they would write a hobby or cooking mystery series. Why publishers won't let an author
wrap things up is beyond me since readers like me are now on to them and refuse to even purchase a mid author
book any more.

I've been reading tons of mysteries this winter but been going to resale shops and picking up a whole series at a time. Not the most current but I love knowing that when I finish one that I've another waiting for me. Stress=Read like crazy

Phyll33

Quote from: Wyobar on February 24, 2011, 10:34:44 PM

book any more.

I've been reading tons of mysteries this winter but been going to resale shops and picking up a whole series at a time. Not the most current but I love knowing that when I finish one that I've another waiting for me. Stress=Read like crazy

I've been finishing up series that have gone kaput just to get the books off my shelves. I had been holding
on to series waiting for the next book to come out and found out for many there was no tomorrow so I'm
just trying to remove those books now.  I found a few really good series this past year that I like that were
new to me but had several books out already like Louise Penny's series and Meg Gardiner's.  I found myself
buying to many cozies that were pretty lame even though they were rated good so I have been cluttering
up my shelves with those and not reading some really good series that I just kept on hold because they
weren't as quick reads. I'm now sitting down reading the good ones and  enjoying my time much more.

Wyobar

Quote from: Phyll33 on February 25, 2011, 09:50:04 AM
Quote from: Wyobar on February 24, 2011, 10:34:44 PM

book any more.

I've been finishing up series that have gone kaput just to get the books off my shelves. I had been holding
on to series waiting for the next book to come out and found out for many there was no tomorrow so I'm
just trying to remove those books now.  I found a few really good series this past year that I like that were
new to me but had several books out already like Louise Penny's series and Meg Gardiner's.  I found myself
buying to many cozies that were pretty lame even though they were rated good so I have been cluttering
up my shelves with those and not reading some really good series that I just kept on hold because they
weren't as quick reads. I'm now sitting down reading the good ones and  enjoying my time much more.

I've been whipping thru the lame mysteries and hauling them off to the resale shop...time to get rid of a ton of books! Meg Gardiner is one I picked up so I might read it next. Just finished reading a bunch of Alex Kava...loved them. Don't know why I am so into this type of read but it seems to be what I want...violent, graphic, non pc. Guess it's because I'm dealing with the suits at the rehab place  :blank:

Phyll33

Gardner has two series going. I've read the first book in each and they were very good. I'm into
the more in depth books now too. For awhile I had put them aside because many were just very long
and took awhile to read but they were always more satisfying so I'm back trying to catch up on my
collection. Elizabeth George, Jane Haddam, Louise Penny, Tess Gerritsen, Meg Gardner, Nevada Barr,
Zoe Sharp, Dana Stabenow, Beverly Connor are all favorites and I'm behind in most of their series.
I need to get off this box and just sit down and read. :)

How is your Mother doing?  Rehab can be a pain but for some reason my Aunt did very well with it
5 years ago. Now she is in the end stages of Alzheimer's and I don't foresee a very long future.

Wyobar

Quote from: Phyll33 on March 01, 2011, 07:49:01 AM

Gardner has two series going. I've read the first book in each and they were very good. I'm into
the more in depth books now too. For awhile I had put them aside because many were just very long
and took awhile to read but they were always more satisfying so I'm back trying to catch up on my
collection. Elizabeth George, Jane Haddam, Louise Penny, Tess Gerritsen, Meg Gardner, Nevada Barr,
Zoe Sharp, Dana Stabenow, Beverly Connor are all favorites and I'm behind in most of their series.

How is your Mother doing?  Rehab can be a pain but for some reason my Aunt did very well with it
5 years ago. Now she is in the end stages of Alzheimer's and I don't foresee a very long future.

great list..I've read some Stabenow & I've loved those. I am afraid to add to my reading list...my hubby might finally put his foot now (not really *G).

We are waiting for the next surgery (knee) and then more rehab but she is doing really good. Keeping up her strength and can hop on one foot 15feet... :clap: :clap: :clap:

Alzheimer's has to be one of the most difficult diseases..I thank God every day that my Mom is still really mentally with it.

Going up to Seattle for EmeraldCon...William Shatner is supposed to be there. I'll be off computer until Monday. Have a wonderful weekend.

Phyll33

Quote from: Wyobar on March 02, 2011, 07:39:52 PM

great list..I've read some Stabenow & I've loved those. I am afraid to add to my reading list...my hubby might finally put his foot now (not really *G).

We are waiting for the next surgery (knee) and then more rehab but she is doing really good. Keeping up her strength and can hop on one foot 15feet... :clap: :clap: :clap:

Alzheimer's has to be one of the most difficult diseases..I thank God every day that my Mom is still really mentally with it.

Going up to Seattle for EmeraldCon...William Shatner is supposed to be there. I'll be off computer until Monday. Have a wonderful weekend.

Yes, Alzheimer's is the pits and I've seen too much of it. My Mother and now my Aunt and now my
daughter's mother-in- law has it and she is just in her late 50's. Apparently runs in her family. A
horrible disease.

Have fun this weekend. Ours looks wet but warmer. Need to start melting all of this snow but gradually
I hope or we will have major flooding problems. Wish we were just getting the warmth without the rain
this weekend.

Wyobar

Quote from: Phyll33 on March 03, 2011, 09:28:51 AM
Quote from: Wyobar on March 02, 2011, 07:39:52 PM

Yes, Alzheimer's is the pits and I've seen too much of it. My Mother and now my Aunt and now my
daughter's mother-in- law has it and she is just in her late 50's. Apparently runs in her family. A
horrible disease.

Have fun this weekend. Ours looks wet but warmer. Need to start melting all of this snow but gradually
I hope or we will have major flooding problems. Wish we were just getting the warmth without the rain
this weekend.

My family has heart problems but no Alzheimer's just plain old fashioned crazy  :-\

Seeing lots of flooding on the east coast...how are you doing? Scary, scary pictures.. tried to remember if things were this weird last time with La Nina.

Had a marvelous weekend. Got to drive over a pass during a snow storm...just amazingly beautiful. Shatner was incredible...had the audience held in the palm of his hand. So glad we decided to make the jaunt up to Seattle at the last moment. It was so fun.