• Welcome to Ten Percent of Nuthin'.

News:

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.  -Mal

Main Menu

Poker

Started by Spooky, November 29, 2013, 11:19:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spooky

Still playing poker everyday. I am understanding the game more and more, but i know I still have a lot to learn and I am trying to be more disciplined with my decisions.

Anyway, I was playing a free-roll tournament last night where the prize was one ticket to the MDS (Million Dollar Sunday) tournament (The MDS is a $265 buy-in tournament). I was playing really well despite a lot of donks shoving all-in with almost any hand, because why not it a free-roll. I survived and spent most of the tournament with the 2nd biggest chip stack. the biggest chip stack belongs to a donk who would shove all-in, when anyone else shove all-in, with any two cards. He got lucky so many times. It was maddening.

I stuck to my guns and played tight and aggressive. I only played premium hand in position. i think I was dealt about 150 hand the whole tournament and only played about 20 or so hands. Long story short, it was me and the lucky donk heads up in the end. I was dealt KK and put out a bet and the donk called. Flop comes J, 7, 2. I put out a continuation bet and the donk jams all-in. My kings are way ahead of his all-in range and I call all-in. The cards flip and I see he has 9 7 off-suit. Turn is a 7... river is a 7.

:kirk:

I LOVE POKER!!!!!
And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling.

Eric

Ouch!  So if I understand that poker-babble, you ended up with a full house (KK777) and he lucked into four-of-a-kind (7777)?  Great googly-mooglie.

Spooky

Eric

I hope that didn't come across wrong.  It was like you were speaking Greek--except for "donk", which was kind of obvious from your tone.
:haha:

Spooky

:haha:

Donk (Donkey or Jack Arse) or Maniac (A player who thinks their loose aggressive style makes them a Shark) = Bad poker player.
Fish = Player who plays OK, but plays too many hands and makes a few bad decisions while losing more chips/money than they should.
Whale = Rich Donk/Fish/Maniac who plays for fun and spews off lots of money and doesn't seems to care. 
Shark = Good player who preys on the Fish, Whales and Maniacs.

Me = A former Donk who is now a Fish trying hard to become a Shark.

Sharks could not make money without the Donks, Fish, Maniacs, and Whales.

I wish I would have played during the poker boom of the early 2000's. At my current skill level I would have been a shark because there were so many bad players. There were people making a living online with a similar skill set to mine. Now there is so much info on how to play solid poker online that the skill gap between good and bad players has shrunk drastically Also the bar for being considered a good player has risen quite a bit.

Despite the bad beats, poker is a lot of fun. The more I understand about the game the more it becomes kind of a puzzle game. You try to put your opponent on a range of hands pre-flop and then narrow than range down based on behavior and betting patterns. If you pay attention to every hand, everyone falls into patterns that can be exploited. Even good players fall into patterns, but they review hands after the fact and fix their mistakes, bad players don't.

The good players try to play as balanced as possible. They don't have many patterns to pick up on because they will try to play a whole range of hands the same way every time. This makes it very hard to exploit them. I play AA they same way I would play TT+, TJ suited +. I also don't over-bet my bluffs. I bet them the same as if I was betting for value with the best hand.

Most bad players play passive with weak or moderate hands and check, place small bets or call too much with them. It is easy to pick up on this and bluff them off almost all these hands. They also tend to over-bet their good hand, making it easy to fold against them and not pay them off.

Can't wait to test my metal at the World Series of Poker in a couple of months. Spending $1,500 on a buy-in is going to be a lot different than the $0.50 to $6.00 I spend now.

Spooky

Quote from: Spooky on December 12, 2017, 04:20:21 PM
Just booked my hotel and flight for Vegas in June to play one of the WSOP events!

Decided not to buy into a bracelet event. Paying $1,500 for one tournament that will have over 6,700 entrants in it seems like the odds are stacked against you to just min-cash (about 1,000 out of about 6,700 cashed last year in the event I was planning on entering). There will be daily $250 WSOP deep-stack tournaments going on at the Rio. I can use my $1,500 to buy into 6 of those and up my chances of making some money. They get about 1,000 entrants and about 150 get paid (the winner gets around $30,000). I like the odds of playing 5 or 6 smaller tourneys with a lot less people in them. Getting a bit excited for the trip!

Eric

:D  :beercheer:
Keep us updated.

Spooky

This kind of blows my mind...

Spooky

Day 1

Got here at about 2;30 PM

Just chilled at the Rio and checked out all the poker rooms and celebrity watched. Got to see a few well known player. Decided to put $20 in a slot machine and three spins latter I won $170... Cashed out and put another 20 in a slot and won about $180 after 5 spins.  I cased out and put $20 in another slot machine ad won $263 lol. I tihnk I need to stop while I am ahead.

First tournament starts at 1 PM tomorrow. Hope the slots luck holds over.

Spooky

Day 2

Entered the 1 PM $250 WSOP Deepstack event.

I was nervous once the cards were dealt. Took about an hour before the adrenaline burned itself out. I played OK. Won a few big pots off off a few players who were scared of reraises. I called down with a few mediorce hands and my 20k starting stack was down to 17k at the orst break.

First hand after the break I got dealt AK offsiut. I was raised beore me and I reraised. I got three callers including the orginal raiser.  The flop and Ace came on the flop (don't remember the other cards) and it checked to me. I raised and got one caller. So headsup on the turn which was a K. I check and the other guy bet. I reraised and he folded. That was a 5k pot.

30 miutes latter after having made a couple of mistakes, I was down to 7k. I was dealt TT. it was raised to me and I reraised. I got one caller and the flop came T98. I raised and was reraised. I reraised all in for my last 5.1k chips and was called. He turned over KQ. The turn card was a 3 and the river was a J. He beats my three of a kind with a rivered straight.

I'll be back at it again tomorrow.