• Welcome to Ten Percent of Nuthin'.

News:

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.  -Mal

Main Menu

Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Started by Spooky, April 25, 2013, 12:54:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric

Quote from: TinkTanker on August 04, 2013, 03:07:54 PM
If there was money to be made, Fox would try to make it. The movie bombed, it lost money. The fan base is very passionate but there aren't that many of us when it comes right down to it.

AdmiralDigby

The fan base is very passionate but there aren't that many of us when it comes right down to it.

:deadhorse:

:(
It's nice here with a view of the trees
Eating with a spoon?
They don't give you knives?
'Spect you watch those trees
Blowing in the breeze
We want to see you lead a normal life

Rosie

Quote from: AdmiralDigby on August 05, 2013, 07:55:42 AM
The fan base is very passionate but there aren't that many of us when it comes right down to it.

:dontlike: :jedi: :wtf: :vuvu: :kirk: :trekum:

I disagree.

AdmiralDigby

Quote from: Rosie on August 05, 2013, 11:32:08 AM
Quote from: AdmiralDigby on August 05, 2013, 07:55:42 AM

:dontlike: :jedi: :wtf: :vuvu: :kirk: :trekum:

I disagree.

:squee: :squee

We are rather smallish ( and too pretty to die )  ...

:squee:
:neener:

It's nice here with a view of the trees
Eating with a spoon?
They don't give you knives?
'Spect you watch those trees
Blowing in the breeze
We want to see you lead a normal life

Phyll33

Oh, I definitely think someone had it in for Firefly and maybe Joss but those people are gone now.  There has
always been more to the story than we ever heard.  Someone got his nose out of joint that Firefly was totally
different from what they expected and they weren't going to admit it was good no matter what they did. Joss
and team had a personality conflict with someone or ones and they took it out on the show.

TinkTanker

Fox is in the business of getting people to watch their programming long enough and in numbers great enough to sit through the commercials. Why would they invest millions of dollars in programming only to get people not to tune in because it was too good? We went through this with Dollhouse too. In the case of Dollhouse, it got to the point that reruns of House drew more viewers.

It isn't a question of how good it was or is. Firefly ranked 98th in the Nielsen ratings. IIRC, there were about 120 shows at the time. It didn't attract enough viewers to succeed.
"Is this how time normally passes? Really slowly, in the right order?"

Rosie

Quote from: TinkTanker on August 05, 2013, 07:07:40 PM
Fox is in the business of getting people to watch their programming long enough and in numbers great enough to sit through the commercials. Why would they invest millions of dollars in programming only to get people not to tune in because it was too good? We went through this with Dollhouse too. In the case of Dollhouse, it got to the point that reruns of House drew more viewers.

It isn't a question of how good it was or is. Firefly ranked 98th in the Nielsen ratings. IIRC, there were about 120 shows at the time. It didn't attract enough viewers to succeed.

Why Fox mishandled Firefly I cannot explain.

The fact Firefly was aired out of ordered.
The fact it was preempted for the World Series.
The fact that it was not promoted and scheduled Friday at 8pm.
Finally the fact that reality TV was cheaper.

All contributed to the end of Firefly.

Dollhouse had interference from Fox Execs. The first 5 episodes are AWFUL. Joss' episode 6 was correct.

It is someone's job to promote and attract viewers. They need to sell it. It's about selling ice to Eskimos. If you suck at that it's your fault not the show's fault.

Neilsen Ratings are an out dated guideline. Other shows on other networks have been given a chance and gone on to succeed. Firefly was not and it is only Fox's fault.

TinkTanker

Agree to disagree.

"Is this how time normally passes? Really slowly, in the right order?"

Rosie

Phyll33

Quote from: Rosie on August 06, 2013, 07:05:54 AM
Quote from: TinkTanker on August 06, 2013, 03:20:22 AM
Agree to disagree.

Good.

:)

I agree with you Rosie. Something was going on with the selling of the show that wasn''t there. Showing it out of
order was the biggy. All the ads and trailers I saw before the show aired were from the pilot. To have that not shown
when anyone watching was expecting it was a killer for many.  I almost gave up on it myself with the first couple of
shows. By the time it got it's legs it had lost everyone except the hardcore fans and there was not enough time left
to get them back. Someone at the top didn't like it from the beginning, figured out how to kill it off real quick without
having to spend any more money on it. If the pilot had aired first I think we would have been looking at a whole different
outcome. That pilot was a perfect set up for the series.