• Welcome to Ten Percent of Nuthin'.

News:

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.  -Mal

Main Menu

Grilled Steak with Pickle Juice brine

Started by Eric, April 08, 2017, 10:46:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric

http://jesspryles.com/picklebrineskirt/

That recipe calls for skirt steak, but we tried it a few weeks ago with the much-pricier Delmonico cut.  What we ended with was some of the best steaks I've ever cooked, and those were just in a cast iron frying pan.  No pickle flavor, very tender, and tasty.  I used bread-and-butter, though dill should work as well.

We're giving it another whirl today--on the grill--with some NY strips. 

Eric

I left them in the pickle juice a little long, so I'd get the occasional slight pickle flavor.  One-two hours in it is probably plenty.

Still tasty.  A lot of meat.  :-\

Spooky

Looks yummy. Is it supposed to have a bit of pickle juice flavor or is that meant to burn off?
And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling.

Eric

Quote from: Spooky on April 10, 2017, 08:41:38 AM
Looks yummy. Is it supposed to have a bit of pickle juice flavor or is that meant to burn off?

Sara later told me hers was great.  I had a couple of bites where I thought there was a hint of pickle, but I'd been munching on the onions (after grilling--and they are definitely pickled at that point). So no, you shouldn't be able to taste the juice.  I didn't taste any at all the Delmonico steaks I tried earlier, but I didn't let those marinate so long.

I haven't tried the following recipe, but it's the same basic concept: Salts and acidic ingredients (Worchestershire, soy, lemon) to tenderize; herbs to put in a little flavor.