• Welcome to Ten Percent of Nuthin'.

News:

Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.  -Mal

Main Menu

Spring means gardening!

Started by Eric, April 13, 2014, 11:14:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric

So I had this nice, long post about starting our third year of gardening here and my thumb brushed the back-button on the mouse.  Everything gone.

It took well over an hour to gather all the info, so forgive me for just being lazy now.  If you have questions, ask! :haha:

Did the "no-till" method in our 4x4 raised bed.  Will do the other 4x8 ground-level in a few weeks after danger of frost is gone.
Planted Purple Haze hybrid carrots and Eva's Burgundy lettuce (A rare 5th gen heirloom) this morning.  We also saved a row for the bees, in which Sara planted zinnias.

No-till is very easy and adds some good organic substance to the garden.  While we did add some compost to the soil last year, we're going full blown with this method this year:

http://youtu.be/Kt9yEbcTUfw

A few weeks ago, I planted some heirloom tomato seeds in starter containers to move outside later:  Hartman's Yellow gooseberry and Summer Cider Apricot.  Both are supposed to be sweet, but I'm really looking forward to the the orange hand-sized Summer Cider.  It's supposed to be very tasty (I'm not generally a tomato fruit fan).

In a few weeks, we'll plant a row or two of sweet corn, some Kentucky Wonder pole beans (loved them last year) and either zucchini or bell peppers.  Did a teepee for the beans last year, but I may move to a trellis like this for gathering ease.

Eric

This year we planted somewhere around twenty-five Fortex bean plants.  We've probably gotten ten pounds or more of beans.  Right now we have 4-5lbs in the freezer, but we've also given away several pounds.

We also planted Summer Cider Apricot tomatoes again. Pearl loves them as fried green tomatoes, though this year she made a tasty pasta sauce too.  We still have several tomato fruits growing, but I'm not sure the plants themselves will survive. We shall see.

I need to figure out a good way to either add-on or rotate veggies.  There's just not much yard that gets decent sunlight.

Spooky

My mom has a pretty decent garden in her backyard. She goes a large variety of stuff, including something that is illegal to grow in most other states.  ;)
And I'm thinking you weren't burdened with an overabundance of schooling.